Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Waiting

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. At 2:30. At 4:00, they finally call me back to go to the room. As we almost get there, the nurse comes and says we need to put so-and-so in that room so that we can check to see if she's dilated. Fine. So the cute MA says, "Here you can sit at my desk for a minute until another room opens up." Ok, fine. So, I'm at her desk, which is in the middle of a hall, so people constantly coming and going. For twenty minutes. Except for the time I decided to go back up to the front desk to schedule my next appointment. So I finally get into a room, and get to sit there for however long. By this time, I'm hungry, I have to pee again, and my head hurts. And I'm incredibly bored. I should have known that the one time I forget to bring a book is the time I get to spend two and a half hours there. I was finally on my way out the door at 5:00.

Now, I know that the whole baby business is unpredictable, so I don't want to hear about that. My doctor is awesome and I love her. She is worth the wait. But it's frustrating when you have someone watching your kids and you are gone forever. And you're not sure when you'll be back. Or if you're ever going to be able to come back-- who knows, I might have been stuck there forever. I've decided that they need a special room just for pregnant moms, where they have a large assortment of food. Heck, we're paying enough that they could afford that. I think I'll suggest that the next time I'm in...

6 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my word!! That is a LONG time to wait. Don't they know your nerves are already shot when you get there!?! At least you didn't have your kids with you. When do you find out what you are having??

Shelley said...

That is the most insane doctor's appointment I have ever heard of! I remember it taking an hour once and thinking THAT was long.

Carrie said...

What if they had a special room for the pregnant women and they ran out of food, it would be fun to watch two pregnant ladies fight over the last Chips Ahoy Snack Pack.

Unknown said...

Try to schedule one of the first appointments after they get back from lunch and you usually won't have to wait very long.

Marianne said...

I second Tamera, that's always the time I tried to go for. But there's always the chance somebody is in labor, or needs extra help. It's the name of the game, I guess! If your babysitter ever needs help in this kind of situation, call me!

Linda Gibbs said...

You go, Crystal! If they are going to make you pregnant ladies wait, they should have snacks! Be crankier. They won't want a room full of hungry, cranky mamma's to deal with! I wouldn't