Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spoiled?

I had someone ask me if Xan was sleeping through the night yet. I told him that no, he's not. He responded that it was because I spoil him. My response: "Yes, I do, but soon my babies will be all grown up." I know this guy was just being funny and giving me a hard time (and I am in no way bothered by his assertion. I actually think it's pretty funny), but last night as I sat with Xan in the middle of the night it made me think. I truly love sitting with and nursing my babies. Is Xan big enough to be sleeping through the night? Definitely. But I love that he wants the comfort that only I can give him at this time. Yes, some days I'm really tired after a long night. And luckily I have a wonderful husband who will let me sleep in on the weekends.

As I sat with my baby last night I realized that I really treasure my alone time with him. I have had special moments and experiences with my babies when it's just the two of us in the middle of the night. I thought about if I would want to trade this precious time I have with my baby, just me and him, for a few extra minutes of sleep. I decided that no, I wouldn't trade. This is such a short time that I can be this source of comfort to my baby. Before I know it, he will be grown, and he won't want to cuddle with his mom. He'll be too impatient to sit on my lap and let me sing to him. He'll be too embarrassed to get a hug from his mom.

Am I spoiling him? Maybe. Probably. And soon he will sleep through the night. But for now, I will cherish the time I have to snuggle and adore my baby. Even if it is in the middle of the night.

8 comments:

Shelley said...

I miss having babies- mine are both big now. But thank goodness they still need loves, cuddles, and hugs. It is great to be a mommy. :)

Linda Barton said...

I don't think you CAN spoil a baby. A six year old...yes. a baby....nope:)

Besides, when else can you have one on one time with your youngest if not in the middle of the night?

Jenni said...

That's just really sweet Crystal. I used to love getting up with my babies in the night, until they were like 6 months old. Then I wanted to sleep all night. Maybe I'll feel differently next time around. :)

Shanna said...

Ahhh! That is so sweet! Your baby is very blessed to have you as his mom!

Rekehl Johnson said...

I totally felt the same way when my kids were babies. I knew that moment in time would be gone in a heartbeat and I would miss it, so I was very conscience about being in the moment and as I look back I don't have one regret of the loss sleep and it sounds like neither will you. Enjoy.

DaNette said...

What a moment of inspiration when I need it most! Lately Livia is so Mom hungry I get so worn out but you are right, it won't be long before they won't want us like this. Thanks for the reminder!

Rachel said...

So So true Crystal! They grow so fast and soon they will be gone and we will wish for another sleepless night. And, you are NOT spoiling him! :) You're a great Mommy!

Heather said...

That's sooooo sweet, Crystal! It makes me miss my babies.