Friday, November 12, 2010

I am a Soldier

Last night Jacob, Micah and I had the privilege to go to the Veterans' Day concert at the Huntsman Center. It is one of the best concerts ever. Every year they have it, and I have been able to go to many of them. When I was a senior in high school, I was able to perform in the concert with my choir. Veterans Day holds a special place in my heart because my father and brother serve(d) in the Utah National Guard. This year I wanted to take Jacob to the concert because he likes Army stuff so much. He even wore his BDU's. I really enjoyed the concert this year. It was such a good experience for my boys, especially Jacob. It was also very emotional for me. The Battle Hymn of the Republic always gives me chills, and this year they sang a new song called "Warrior Ethos." Jacob was totally focused on the song and it made me cry. It was amazing. I found a version of it on YouTube. Take the 5 minutes to watch. It's worth it.

During the concert they told the stories of five veterans. One was a young man who as a kid would dress up in camo and play Army. Just like my Jacob. This young man gave the ultimate sacrifice and ended up being killed in Afghanistan. My sister-in-law asked me what I would do if when Jacob turned 18, he wanted to put on a real uniform. I've thought about that a lot the last 24 hours. I would be so proud of him if that is what he decides he wants to do. He would be following in the footsteps of many great men and women, and two of the greatest men I know: His grandpa and his uncle. Yes, I would be worried about him, but I am so grateful to all the men and women in our military who are willing to fight to protect our freedom and bring freedom to people in other nations.
Here's Jacob with his uncle, The Colonel
(for some stupid reason, I didn't get a picture of my dad in there with them. Then the caption would have been "Jacob and The Colonels.")

I am grateful for the opportunity to honor our servicemen and women, and especially to honor my father and my brother. I am so proud to have them in my family. Thank you to all the members of the United States military! Thank you for your service! You are all truly heroes!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow Crystal, that is awesome! We are all in debt to those awesome men and women who fight for ours (and others) freedoms.

Rachel said...

That was awesome!! I'd love to take Easton to something like that! Jack and I have both thought about the "what if's" if Easton doesn't grow out of this phase, not sure I am to keen on the idea :(....