We are so grateful to be home! After more than 10 hours in the car, driving in yucky weather, we were all so glad to get out of the car and be home. And we are thankful to be safe! And for our own beds! We went to Idaho for Thanksgiving this year. We should have known better from the start....
We left right on time Tuesday afternoon. We were about to downtown when my mom called to say she heard the road had been closed. So we called Dustin's sister who lives in Burley. Yes, I-84 was closed between the Utah border and Burley. They had closed it about 20 minutes earlier. So we turned around and decided we would wait until Wednesday morning. Wednesday I woke up not feeling well, and the road was still closed. We finally left about noon, with me still not feeling well, but at least the road was open. The roads were fine until about Jerome. Then it was pretty slow going the rest of the way. It ended up taking us 9 hours to get up there. (It usually takes about 6 hours.)
On Sunday we left Dustin's parents' around 11:00, thinking we would easily get through everything before dark. Roads were good through Boise but then around Jerome again, the winds started blowing and there was snow on the road. Then we found out that I-84 was closed again! So we decided we would take the long way through Pocatello and down I-15. Wow. The road between Burley and Pocatello was terrible. It was snowing and the wind was really strong. Cars were off the road everywhere. When we got into Utah it was snowing again and we got stuck at a big accident. But we finally made it home a little after 9:00 and we were so grateful!
It was nice to be with family that we don't see too often, but being sick the whole time and having to drive through that doesn't make me want to go back any time soon. We did have a nice time there and had fun. I'm thinking we'll go back in the spring when all threats of snow are gone.
And Then There Were 5
2 weeks ago

3 comments:
My brother lives in Burley! We never see them on Thanksgiving because the roads are closed more often than not.
I am glad that you were able to make it there and back safely. I love the snow but I don't like to drive in it.
Wow - what an ordeal! I HATE driving in the snow. It causes so much stress. I think it is the part of winter I hate the very most.
You must really love your family! Holy crow that's a lot of driving in yucky weather, which is so not fun. Glad you got home safe and sound.
Post a Comment